Emo de Medeiros lives and works in Cotonou (Benin) and in Paris (France)
He was trained at the ENS (Paris/Ulm), ENSBA (Paris), and Massachusetts College of Art (MassArt).
His artistic proposals, which always involve a strong conceptual element, are characterized by a serial and rhythmic transmedia approach, along with participative and improvised dimensions. Mixing traditional materials and crafts with technology and new media, they question the connection between art, spirituality and transcendence. As an artist interested in transformation processes and non-linear narratives, Emo de Medeiros explores the shapes, patterns and edges of contemporary African creation, as well as how it is perceived both from inside and outside the continent. Emo de Medeiros works with many medias, including sculpture, video, photography, performance, electronic music, drawing, interactive devices, performative installations, painting or connected objects.
- November 2017 : Contextures, Fondation Zinsou, Cotonou, Bénin
- September – December 2017, Bienal Sur, (Bienal Internacional de Arte Contemporáneo de América del Sur), Buenos Aires, Argentina. Artistic Director : Diana Wechsler
- October 2017 : Videobrasil Contemporary Art Festival, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Flow of Forms/Forms of Flow, Munich, Germany Pinakothek der Moderne, Kunstraum München, Museum Fünf Kontinente, Galerie Karen Wimmer, group show. Curators : Kerstin Pinther and Alexandra Weigand
- Afriques Capitales, group show, La Villette, Paris. Curator : Simon Njami
- Vers le Cap de Bonne-Espérance, group show, Gare Saint-Sauveur, Lille. Curator : Simon Njami
- Transpositions, solo show 50 Golborne gallery, London
- Transmutations, solo show, Backslash Gallery, Paris. Curator: Manuela de Barros
- Dakar Biennale, The City in the Blue Daylight, Curator: Valentina Gioia Levy, Artistic Director: Simon Njami
- Marrakech Biennale, Not New Now, Artistic Director: Reem Fada
- That Art Fair, Cape Town, South Africa, Invited Artist solo show
- All things magic, solo show, Galerie RSF, Paris
- Pavillon du Bénin, installation, Venice Biennale Off
- Vodunaut, solo show, Centre Arts et Cultures, Cotonou, Benin. Curator: Didier Houenoude
- Salon Ddessin du dessin contemporain, Atelier Richelieu (Paris), Invited Artist solo show
- Variations, group show, Galerie Joseph, Paris.
- Kaleta/Kaleta, Palais de Tokyo, Paris, performative video installation Curator : Vittoria Matarrese
- Black Light Sanctuary, 58ème Salon de Montrouge, installation. Artistic Director : Stéphane Corréard