Emo de Medeiros lives and works in Cotonou, Benin, and in Paris, France. He studied at Ecole Normale Supérieure (Paris/Ulm), Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux- Arts (Paris), and at the Massachusetts College of Art (MassArt).
Emo de Medeiros' work is based on a single concept, which he calls contexture, which emphasizes transculturalness, interconnection, transformation, hybridization and the circulation of forms, myths and merchandises in a post- colonial, globalized and digitalized world, employing notions of origin, place and identity to question their context within our increasingly globalized culture.
His artworks always include a salient conceptual dimension, and are characterized by a participatory, serial and rhythmic approach, by a mix of traditional and technological materials and media, as well as the link between art, spirituality and transcendence. As an artist interested in transformation processes and non-linear narratives, Emo de Medeiros explores the shapes, patterns and edges of contemporary African creation, as well as how it is perceived both from inside and outside the continent. Emo de Medeiros works with a wide array of mediums, including sculpture, video, photography, performance, electronic music, drawing, interactive devices, performative installations, painting or connected objects..
- Videobrasil Contemporary Art Festival. Artistic Director: Solange Farkas. Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Digital Africa, group show. Curator: Christine Eyene. OGU MAG gallery, Tokyo, Japan
- Die Schönheit im Anderen, group show. Curator: Mark Gisbourne. Lieberose , Germany
- The Black Sphinx, group show. Primo Marella gallery, Milan, Italy
- Flow of Forms/Forms of Flow, group show. Curators: Kerstin Pinther and Alexandra Weigand.
Galerie Karen Wimmer, Munich, Germany
- Afriques Capitales, group show. Curator: Simon Njami. La Villette, Paris, France
- Vers le Cap de Bonne-Espérance, group show. Curator: Simon Njami. Gare Saint-Sauveur, Lille, France
- Transpositions, solo show 50 Golborne gallery, London, UK
- Transmutations, solo show. Curator: Manuela de Barros. Backslash Gallery, Paris, France
- Dakar Biennale, The City in the Blue Daylight. Artistic Director: Simon Njami. Curator: Valentina Gioia Levy.
IFAN Museum of African Arts, Dakar, Senegal
- Marrakech Biennale, Not New Now. Artistic Director: Reem Fada. L'Blassa, Marrakech, Morocco
The Way It Is, Invited Artist solo show. Art Africa Art Fair, Cape Town, South Africa
- All things magic, solo show, Galerie RSF, Paris, France
- Pavillon du Bénin, installation, Venice Biennale Off. Venice, Italy
- Vodunaut, solo show. Curator: Didier Houenoude. Centre Arts et Cultures, Cotonou, Benin
Zemidjan, Invited Artist solo show. Ddessin Contemporary Drawing Fair, Paris,France
- Variations, group show. Galerie Joseph, Paris, France
- Kaleta/Kaleta. Curator: Vittoria Matarrese. Palais de Tokyo, Paris, France
- Black Light Sanctuary, Artistic Director: Stéphane Corréard. 58ème Salon de Montrouge, Montrouge, France.